Jen’s top ten tips for living gluten-free include:
1. Find a local support group that can help when you are newly diagnosed or have questions along your journey.
2. Find a local grocery or health food store that will allow you to taste the gluten-free products before you buy them.
3. Start taking classes to learn how to prepare gluten-free foods.
4. Experiment in the kitchen and don’t be afraid to try new foods and products.
5. Make sure you have a “safe” kitchen. Clean your kitchen well and purchase some necessary new items (such as a toaster) to avoid cross-contamination.
6. Enlist your family and friends in supporting you in your new lifestyle.
7. Find some great websites and blogs that fit your gluten-free needs. See my list on the right side of this page.
8. Locate a safe restaurant where you can eat during times when you don’t feel like cooking. Eventually, you will be able to educate chefs at more restaurants. But in the beginning, find a place that you know you can go to and not get sick.
9. Carry gluten-free snacks with you in case a hunger attack strikes. You can’t depend on the fact that safe food will be available.
10. Relax and enjoy your gluten-free journey. You will learn about great new foods and meet wonderful new people along the way.